What is Reiki?
What is Reiki?
Reiki is an alternative, natural healing method that promotes relaxation, balance, wellness, and knowledge of self.
The word Reiki is pronounced as Ray-key.
Reiki is a Japanese word that means Universal Life Force energy.
When you split up the word, you have Rei and Ki.
The word Rei means Universal. Rei is what we think of as our inner selves.
The word ki means Life Force energy. This is the energy is apart of and runs through all of life-grass, animals, people, trees, rocks, and etc. It is the energy that binds all living together. All living beings that God created in this world have this Life Force energy flowing through them, providing them with energetic nourishment. Ki flows around earth in unlimited amounts.
Ki is equivalent to Prana which is Sanskrit for energy. Ki is also equivalent to Chi which is from the Chinese meaning energy.
Reiki is said to be the most powerful energy healing when combined with the Universal Mind.
A brief History of Reiki.
An educated man by the name of Dr. Mikao Usui (Usui Sensei) re-discovered Reiki near the mountain of Kurama of Japan around the late 1800's to the early 1900's.
He was interested in healing like Jesus and other ancient people. He studied Buddhism, he asked his teachers, but no one knew how or they would not tell him. So he decided to traveled to Mt. Kurama for a 21 day fasting retreat where he would go with-in himself and find the answer.
While he had been meditating, he was attuned to Reiki energy .
Indeed, he found the answer or the answer found him! He woke up excited to share this news to the teachers in his temple.
While traveling, he ended up stubbing his toe. He placed his finger on the "physical hurt" and it healed. He walked into a restaurant, eager to eat a huge meal. He found that the worker at this restaurant was ill. So he healed the worker. He ate his large meal with no ill effects due to not eating for 21 days. He hurried back to his temple only to find his teacher was ill. He healed his teacher as well. These occurrences are known as the Four Miracles.
Usui Sensei traveled healing the poor, ill and deformed physically. But he found out that many people did not want to be healed. They wanted everything to be given to them for free. Thus people would "give" the beggars food, sympathy, pity, and a living for free. It was a easy life for the beggars.
So, Usui Sensei developed what is known as the "energy exchange". He would ask people for a small gift, didn't matter how small, in exchange for teaching them how to heal with Reiki energy. He traveled all over China and Japan healing and teaching the people. Because of the overwhelming interest in learning and healing with Reiki, Usui Sensei opened up many clinics to heal and teach.
In 1926, Dr. Usui died from a stroke. Up to that time, it is said that Dr. Usui taught up to 16 Masters-teachers.
It is said on Dr. Mikao Usui's tombstone there is a prophecy written. This prophecy goes like this; "The practice of Reiki will spread all over the world, healing the people as well as Planet Earth herself." This was written by a beloved student named Juzaburo Ushida in 1927. (2) How correct he was! Reiki is practiced all over the world by many religions, races, and social status.
How did Reiki get to the United States?
It is said that Dr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the Master/teachers that Dr. M. Usui taught, opened up many clinics for Reiki healing. He focused on different hand positions that could heal different ailments. Soon World War II broke out.
Dr. Chujiro Hayashi was a sensitive healer that did not want to be apart of hurting others-World War II. So it is said, he just left his body-he died. But before dying, he taught a lady who had traveled from Hawaii.
This lady, Mrs. Takata (born in 1900 in Hawaii) came to Japan to seek out her sister who was ill and dying. While visiting, Mrs. Takata became ill herself. She was hospitalized with need of surgery. Mrs Takata did not want surgery so asked other options. They told her about Dr. Hayashi's clinic. She went there, was healed and was taught the first two degrees of Reiki. She returned to Hawaii where Dr. Hayashi, later visited and finished teaching her the last two degrees.
Mrs. Takata opened up many clinics. She was known as a powerful healer. She taught people Reiki but only up to the first Two degrees. She would not teach beyond that. She also created what is known as "Western Reiki". Performing Reiki healing without the use of "feeling Byosen". (discord).
Learning to feel Byosen (discord) and understanding what you're feeling can take many months or years to understand.
We all have the capability of giving Reiki energy for healing. We all have a Divine Inner self. Our Divine Inner selves/ Universal Mind/God/Creator/Source provides us with the Reiki energy/healing energy.
It does not matter what religion you are, or what color of skin, or how much intelligence or money you have or your belief in Reiki energy. What matters is that you want to help someone with love in your heart. Coming from "Love" and "Intention" will make you a good healer.
There are many versions of the Reiki history. No one today knows 100% what happened. But every year there seems to be more and more information surfacing.
- The Reiki practitioner will use his/her hands, placing them in different positions and different areas on the or above the client's fully clothed body, while simultaneously channeling the Reiki energy. The Reiki energy is placed in the energy field (aura) or in the physical body. The client's own Divine spirit will take the Reiki energy and will place it where it is most needed. At times, the Reiki energy is not accepted by the client's own Divine spirit and so it is not used. (There may still be a lesson to be learned in regards to the client's situation.) Thus, the practitioner cannot give a guarantee on any type of healing.
- The Reiki practitioner will provide the Reiki energy, but it takes both the practitioner and the client's involvement in his/her own healing to have lasting results.
- At times, the healing will take more then one session.
- Reiki energy sessions are a natural way to feel relaxation, balance, and rejuvenation.
- Reiki energy works in your energetic system, breaking up energetic blockages that cause physical problems later on. Energetic blockages are formed by our own emotions & perceptions of our experiences.
- Reiki is not affiliated with any religion.
- Reiki is used on all conditions, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.
- Reiki is safe for any age; babies, adults, children, elderly, and pregnant women.
- While Reiki cannot guarantee any specific level of healing, it is always beneficial and may reduce depression, pain, and stress.
- Some clients have received complete healing, while others have received a significant improvement in their condition.
- Reiki is beneficial to use with your medical treatments, aiding in relieving side affects and reducing stress.
- Reduces stress.
- Reduces pain.
- Balances the mind, body, and spirit.
- Balances your energetic system.
- Provides relaxation.
- Dissolves energetic blockages, which if untreated, may form physical illness.
- Helps you to understand the root of what is going on in you.
- Provides harmony.
- Helps you to grow emotionally by helping you to understand your reactions to experiences, your addictions, your negative thoughts.
- Helps you to sleep.
- Helps you to reduce anxiety.
- Helps you to accept "what is."
- Plus many more benefits not listed here.
Written by Cynthia Bergsbaken
Usui Reiki Master of Reiki in the Prairie LLC
(1). My Usui Reiki manual written by Desiree Quintana.
(2). "The Hayashi Reiki Manual" by Frank Arjava Petter; Tadao Yamaguchi; Chujiro Hayashi
(3). Cynthia Bergsbaken/my Reiki education.
***All original content is copyrighted by Cynthia Bergsbaken, Perceptive Blogger & Reiki in the Prairie LLC.
Reiki in the Prairie LLC is a legal Entity under law, 2015.
April 11, 2020
Plagiarism is a crime. If you would like to share an article or photo from Reiki in the Prairie LLC and Cynthia Bergsbaken, please obtain written permission from Cynthia Bergsbaken. Send a email to Cynthiareikiintheprairiellc@outlook.com
I am honored to have your interest in my writings & photos. But to steal one's work is a crime and is disrespectful. Use your inspiration to create your own works with your own experiences and your own words.
Reiki in the Prairie LLC, April 11, 2020